Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

I still don't know why he kept that as the tagline. But the more I read about him, the more I grow to admire him. And it's not just Jobs who is admirable, but the entire hippie culture of the time - Woz - Jobs' partner in crime, Friedland - the spiritual freak turned billionaire gold-digger and Jobs's 'guru', Brenda - his first gf , Al - the chief engineer at Altari who gave Jobs his first break - the list could go on. I think the culture at that time was so free flowing and creative - there was a dawn of the hippie culture. And that generation is the one responsible for producing these marvels. There was a cluster of garages where these people started tinkering away which would later grow to be the - 'Silicon valley'.

Steve Jobs,Steve Wozniak,Bill Gates, Ron Wayne, Alan Turing, Daniel Kottke, Larry Ellison, Robert Friedland

All big names.

All from the same era.

All from the same network of friends.

Some of them even from the same neighbourhood.

Hm, surprising that.

Can you connect the dots?

Let's backtrack. What connects them today?
Success.
Right. So, was their a common thread in all those stories? Did they all have a common quality which led to their success? Did they all have all the ingredients from the recipe of success? Or did one ingredient overpower the others and they happened to have that one thing?

Yes, there was one common ingredient they had. Guesses?
Creativity. And the iron hard will to succeed , of course.

So what is it that is stopping us from going out and achieving the same? Why is there no one from our country who is even half as famous at present? I think we are best known for our spiritual gurus. Not a word about our technological prowess. And yet we claim to be the next IT hub. It's a shame.

That era in the already free willed society of US was even more free flowing, exceptionally so, during that particular hippie culture passing phase. High on weed, these geniuses let their creativity flow. And look where it got them. No wait. Look where it got the WORLD. Inventions that have changed the way we live. It is amazing.

And why I crib? Because the process of socialization itself is stifling. We are taught what to do and how to think. It is conditioned in us. Conditioned. Horrible. Jobs just happened to be one lucky guy, endowed with the alacrity to enjoy the world for what it is and the freedom to construe it in a different hue. Also, he proved to be one hell of a salesperson. If there is any quality of his I really, really do admire, it has to be his shrewdness. Proof? Okay, a practical question. If you had to choose one of these, something you could not live without - an iPad or an AC, what would you choose? Need I even ask? But do you know who discovered the first AC? Or the rudimentary TV? Or the car? No, Ford is wrong. And no, I am not doing a character assassination of Jobs. Au contraire, I love the guy. My bedside drawer currently holds my new iPad and Jobs's autobiography. And I am gaga over both. Infact, the first few pages of his book have stimulated me so much so that I am writing this huge blog post about it, coming back to the activity after about half a year. See? Proof of how mind numbing my college is. Or maybe it just keeps me on my toes and that is why I don't get the time to write. Hey, I call a spade a spade. Surprisingly, I've grown to like my college. It supports true pursuit of knowledge. Really does. You should just know how to use it to your benefit. (Yeah, Jobs has rubbed off on me.)

Okay I fly off a tangent pretty easily. Anyway, the book has got my creative juices flowing. Grateful to Isaac Walterson. Honestly. Thanks for being such an amazing writer and thank you Jobs, for being such an amazing subject.

And now, back to it. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment